Google London Site Clinic Highlights The Importance Of Simple SEO
Today I just wanted to bring your attention to a recent blog post from Google's Webmaster Central, an article that highlights the simple things you should be doing to improve your site's rankings.
Just recently Google hosted their second site clinic here in the UK, London to be precise. What came out of it was a re-enforcement of the importance of completing simple on page SEO techniques, something which is just as important as any link building or off page SEO. Ask yourself how many of these things you're taking into account on your own websites.
In summary the points raise were:
- The Use Of Meta Information - Are you using meta title and meta description tags appropriately to optimise your website and improve your site's visibility in the search results?
- Heading Tags - Are you using h1, h2 and h3 title tags appropriately throughout your content to help Google "understand" the priority and structure of your content?
- Site Structure - Have you structured your site logically and do you have a good internal linking structure?
- Use Of Redirects - Are you using appropriate redirects to avoid on site duplicate content
- Use Of Misspelled Queries - Are you using mispelled queries or other tactics to try and rank for certain key phrases? Google Webmaster Guidelines go further into why you shouldn't do this
- Use Of Page Caching & Other Optimization Techniques - How fast is your website load time? Google have a range of website speed recommendations for guidance on speeding up your website. Mark Hansen at the Niche Store Builder also wrote a great article about speeding up your website a while back
None of the above is difficult stuff, neither is it of the "secret sauce" variety, it's just simple on page SEO which everyone should be employing into their own sites.
You can read the full article right here at Google Webmaster Central.